Cabell County Public Library is located in Huntington, West Virginia,
at 455 9th Street Plaza. In addition to the Main Library, there
are seven branches located throughout the
Cabell County's facilities also serve neighboring
libraries located in Logan, Mingo, Putnam, and Wayne Counties.
Computer and cataloging services are provided for libraries in Lincoln
to establish a library in the city of Huntington were begun in late
1897 and a resolution by the Ministers Association was adopted in
1898 to open a public library. In 1899, books were collected for
the establishment of a library and in late 1901, a room was leased
for the library in the Florentine Annex.
March 1, 1902, the library was opened to the public. That same year,
Andrew Carnegie donated $25,000 for a new building. On July 27,
1904, the new library was opened on the corner of Ninth Street and
In the late 40's, the scope of the local library was increased to
include the entire county, branches were established in Milton and
Barboursville, and bookmobile service began.
The current building, located directly across Ninth Street from
the old building, was dedicated on November 30, 1980. In 1997, an
expansion project into unused space on the fourth floor increased
the usable space in the building to over 60,000 sq. ft. During this
time, branches were built and remodeled and new branches were established
to bring the total number of branches to seven. With eight locations
in the county, bookmobile service was no longer needed.
In 1982, the Cabell County Public Library was the first public library
in the state to be automated with a computerized
circulation system and online catalog. In 1996, the library was
also one of the first public libraries in the state to offer Internet
access to the public and to have a library web page. In 1999, Cabell
County Public Library became the first public library in the state
to upgrade to a third-generation library automation system based
on client-server architecture.